Monday, May 26, 2008

Gratitude

Everyone knows that gratitude is a "good thing," and that we should all be (more) grateful. Even though the notion that "gratitude is good" is rather cliche, I wonder if we can be reminded often enough of this great truth. I know I can't.

I shall never forget a marvelous line I read somewhere (I believe it was in Doctrine and Covenants) which proclaimed unabashedly, "He who is grateful in all things shall be made glorious." The incomparable Rumi also has some good words on gratitude:

Be grateful for your life, every detail of it,
and your face will come to shine like a sun,
and everyone who sees it will be made glad and peaceful.
Persist in gratitude, and you will slowly become one with the Sun of Love,
and Love will shine through you its all-healing joy.
This path of gratitude is not for children;
it is the path of tender heroes, of the heroes of tenderness who,
whatever happens,
keep burning on the altar of the hearts the flame of adoration.

To all those who read this blog (and those who don't), I thank you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And from those of us who do read the blog (and on behalf of those who don't yet ... but will), right back atcha. We thank you, too! You open up some great avenues for thought and reflection, and growth. I'm always looking forward to what's next.